CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Sick Kids and a lack of insurance...

Warning:
This blog contains words like
'puke pan',
'throw up',
'poop',
and 'diarrhea'...


But don't worry...
There aren't any pictures of it!


DarTanion has had a fever off and on since Friday night. He spikes a high fever, I give him Ibprofen and it goes away. When it's gone, he's usually his happy little monkey self. Not so much last night, though... His friends came over and he just laid on the couch in his blanket. And now he says his mouth and throat hurt. Crap. Any ideas?

Archer has had diarrhea for a few days now. Not really unusual for my little guy... Then last night, Archer wakes me up to tell me that he needs a 'puke pan'. I hop out of bed (in all my garment glory) and hurry him to the bathroom. Too late. He had already thrown up in his bed. A LOT. Then he starts crying in the bathroom because he doesn't want to throw up in the toilet, but in a 'puke pan'. So I go and get him a bowl and he continues to throw up in his bed of fresh sheets. None on the sheets. All in the bowl. That was good, at least! He was crying about how he wanted me to sleep in his room with him and DarTanion was complaining that Archer's throwing up was going to make him throw up. SO, I made DarTanion a bed on the couch and I slept in his bed. Archer was throwing up for a good 2-3 hours until he finally fell asleep, so I slept too.

I woke up this morning and checked on DarTanion. Fevered again. Gave him medicine and told him I might have to take him to the doctor (he's been refusing to eat since yesterday afternoon). I told him that he had to eat something so he didn't get dehydrated or they would have to put a needle in his arm to give him liquid food. He ate breakfast. :)

Archer slept in and when he did wake up, he was all smiley and happy. He says to me, "MOM! I don't have to cough or puke anymore! But I have to poop." He asks me to come in the bathroom with him while he poops... And for some odd reason, I go. We then discover that sometime during the night, probably while throwing up, that he also pooped his pants! **OH JOY!!!** So I made him a bath (the kid is scared to death of showers, so that wasn't going to happen) and I washed him off. Then he hops out, goes to the potty, and wants to hop back in the tub. I rinsed out the tub and gave him a fresh bath with lots of "Thomas the Train bubbles". Now he's clean, doesn't stink and is hungry... Hopefully he will be feeling good all day!!! *Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!*

Now here is the kicker...
Jeremiah quit Euclid mid-May. He now works for Okland Construction. They have better benefits, chance for advancement, better pay and overtime. All good. Except insurance is the typical 90-days then first of the month start time. Which means that we can't get on their insurance until September 1st. Euclid's insurance ended yesterday. So for 3 months, we either have to go without insurance (I'm NOT a fan of that) or pay COBRA costs to continue Euclid's crummy insurance at $502 per month (which we don't have) or get a Short Term Insurance Plan (which we will now have a break in coverage because it won't go into effect until tomorrow) that we really don't have the money for anyway... And I have sick kids. Crap.

Well, there you go. I don't know why, but blogging about things makes me feel a little better about my situation, so that's why I put stories like that on here... Hope you understand...

Happy day to everyone.

2 comments:

Shiree said...

We had the same illness here too. It was joyful--especially the pooped pants with the throw up. The only good thing was that since I had the baby, Lance cleaned everything up. I'm soooooo sorry about the insurance. Any chance you qualify for CHIP for 3 months? Then at least the kids would have insurance. Good luck!!

Bethie said...

If it makes you feel any better, I had Emma at home because our insurance didn't become effective for another month.....yep all 9 lbs 7 ozs of her and NO epidural - crazy~